Unfortunately, for anything urgent, I would recommend calling Percussion Technical support.
That said, if possible, I would test and see if you have the same problems on another machine. Just off the top of my head, I would make sure that popups aren’t being blocked in Firefox. A screen shot of your problem (s on the various browsers) would be immensely helpful…
Here would be some of the questions we would ask if you were to send this into Support, answering these questions would help us be able to assist you in resolving you problem as quickly as possible.
What version of Rhythmyx? What patch level of Rhythmyx? What version of IE? What version of FireFox? What version of Java on your client?
Various patch levels of Rhythmyx 6.7 have known issues with FireFox 4.
I’m asking all of this because perhaps you have discovered a problem that the rest of us will want to avoid, but we need detailed specs on your application server and your client browsers.
Fully reinstalling Rhythmyx seems like some major overkill. In 4 years, I’ve never had to completely reinstall the application server to remedy a problem. I dare say that without fully investigating your issue, you may be doomed to repeat it.
Same problem here. Rx 6.7 Build 200906P01 on Win2003 Server. IE is fine. All versions of FF cannot see the content tab. I noticed I don’t get any Java cache at all during my tests. Funny thing is, I installed the same version of Rhythmyx (complete with patching) to a Win2008 Server and migrated the tree to the new server and a copy of the database on SQL2005 under a different name. Otherwise it’s exactly the same. Same Java, same tree, same database, same Rhythmyx, same Tomcat, same everything. But on the new server, it WORKS! So this lends some ammo to the notion that a reinstall of Rhythmyx is necessary to address this problem. No one seems to know about any quick fix for the problem (I do have a ticket in with Percussion and will be following up on it soon with them).