RTF Updates go Poof

One user reported being unable to make changes in a rich text field widget. I watched her move a widget from the Unassigned Assets tray into its place in the template, then make edits, only to have them disappear as soon as she clicked save.

One error message quickly flashes by, referencing a java error. I was able to replicate this issue on my end, using the same template but on a different page.

One workaround I tried was to create a new RTF asset independently of the page to drop in later on, and was met with the same error message when trying to save.

User reported she has been encountering this error since late last week. An upgrade to version 3.2 was completed today, and the problem persists following the upgrade.

Just to clarify: content doesn’t disappear, but the changes don’t take, and the content remains exactly as it was when first imported or dropped into the widget space.

Below is a screen shot of what happened when I had the user try saving a lone RTF asset.

D’oh! I posted the wrong screen shot with the first post. Here’s the correct one.

Hey Karolina,

Are you able to save this widget without making any changes? Could you possibly share with me the full source code (from Tools > Source Code) of this imported block of content (before or after making the changes, depending on which triggers the error)? You’ll have to wrap it in Code tags to that it is all preserved on this forum, like so:

Code goes here. 

Thanks!

I can save without making changes. If I try making changes (just removing the breadcrumb paragraph and h1), I get an error message and it reverts to what it was. Here’s the full source code from the widget.

Alumnae Library > Information > Library Hours > Finals Week - Spring Spring Finals Week Hours Finals Week - Spring Semester, May 5-11, 2013     General Library Hours Sunday 12:00 p.m. - 12:00 Midnight Monday/Tuesday 7:45 a.m. - 12:00 Midnight Wednesday 7:45 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. Thursday 7:45 a.m. -9:00 p.m. * Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Saturday 10:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m. *Closing time is tentative and based on final exams administered in the library after 6:00 p.m.     Reference Services Hours Monday/Tuesday 8:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. Wednesday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Saturday CLOSED Sunday CLOSED

Karo,

Looks like you’ve trigger quite an obscure bug with the new TinyMCE code tidying script. Essentially, it appears that if your code contains two incomplete TABLE tags and if one of them has an ID value set, the tidying script will throw a fit. I will file this as a bug.

To correct this, you can do one of two things:

1. Remove both id=“Finals week” IDs from their respective TABLES, or:

2. Fill out both of these tables with a basic table structure:

|   
  |

Clearing up the tables worked! Thanks.

Nice! One less stumbling block in your mad dash to finish everything up … :slight_smile: