Page Auto List

I know, I’m killing you guys today with all my questions/complaints…sorry.

2 Questions:

1. Does the Page Auto List provide hierarchy for folder? i.e. if I have the following structure:

Teacher Section

• index page
  • Syllabus Page
  • Our Class Section
    – Class News Page
    – Class Schedule Page
  • Photo Gallery Page

It’s currently listing all pages in a single item list on the same level (as shown below). Since I have the Class News and Schedule pages underneath the Our Class folder, I’d rather them show as a sub list in the Page Auto List like how I’ve shown here as well.

Currently gets displayed:

• Index page
  • Syllabus Page
  • Our Class index page (under Our Class Folder)
  • Class News Page
  • Class Schedule Page
  • Photo Gallery Page

I’d rather it show like (note Class News and Class Schedule show as a sub list):

• Index page
  • Syllabus Page
  • Our Class index page (under Our Class Folder)
  • Class News Page
  • Class Schedule Page
  • Photo Gallery Page
  1. Is there anyway to either exclude the root index page within a Section or to alter its text without altering the display title of the page? i.e. for usage within CM1 we’d like the index page to have one title but when displayed in the auto page list we’d like it to just say “Home” or similar.

Hi Paul,

The Page Auto-list doesn’t output any special classes for its results based on the folder location of the pages. It’s just a stack of _li_s with even and odd classes. For the type of behavior you’re looking for, the Navigation widget would be a much better fit, as it cleanly nests _li_s based on where these pages are in your navigation structure. Also, you can give certain navigation sections (such as the root navigation section) custom classes that would allow you to use CSS to either hide a page link altogether, or possibly use the before pseudo-selector and the content attribute to change the link text.

You can read more about setting up and working with Navigation here:

http://help.percussion.com/AAATemp/Ma…

There are ways to customize the output of an auto-list beyond what’s allowed in the widget, and while I’m still unsure if this is the right tool for the job here, you can read about these types of options here:

https://community.percussion.com/t/page-autolist-by-category/1925

I only want the navigation widget to then list Pages, but it’s not listing anything at the level I have it (only elements at this level are pages and a folder). I’ve made sure the primary node level set correctly for what I want to show. How do I fix this? I must be missing something…

Also, this is off topic, but when i toggle between Site and Assets in the Finder, it’s not remembered my last location in each, and instead is defaulting back to the root for each.

Hey Paul,

The only way for a page to appear in your Navigation or Breadcrumb widgets is to create a section and landing page for that page through CM1’s Navigation menu. These widgets have no awareness of “plain” pages or folders created through the Finder.

For example, if you have a page located at /Sites/www.mysite.com/about-us/contact that you want to have appear in your navigation, you can create a section off of /Sites/www.mysite.com/about-us/ called “contact”, and then drag your existing “contact” page over this new section and drop to make this page the section’s landing page. (Note that you will need to rename your existing “contact” page before creating the section of the same name.)

While I understand that the idea of creating a “section” for what is in reality an isolated page may seem off, there’s really no reason it can’t behave the same as a plain page existing on a certain level (and because CM1 by default publishes pages without HTML extensions, the URL will be the same in either case, e.g. /path/to/my_page can lead to either an HTML file or a folder containing an index page).

Thanks. a very good point. And I agree that it does seem “off”. So it may just be something we’d have to get used to… It’ll be harder for our less technical users to understand though…

the other issue with your suggestion is that wouldn’t an Admin have to create sections? We’d want our end user contributors to be able to do it. So say I’m a contributor (teacher) and I want a page that is called “Class News”. As a contributor, I can create a folder or a page only. And I don’t think either of these show up in the navigation widget.

Paul, this is correct. If you foresee your users generating a lot of content that they would want to have appear in your Navigation widgets, one option may be to take advantage of the new Designer role in CM1, which is similar to an Admin but without permissions to delete or copy a site, nor any access to the Workflow section. You could target certain users to grant this type of access, who could create these sections for your users.

Alternately, a more advance solution would be to customize your own auto-list that can filter its results by specific folder (without picking up subfolders), tags, and more. Take a look at this topic for instructions on how you might do this:

https://community.percussion.com/t/page-autolist-by-category/1925

Okay thanks, I’ll take a look at that advanced solution… Additionally, Where can I find information on developing custom widgets (as I see it’s listed as an option in the Add Widget area). I’m betting it’d be simple enough for me to extend the Page Auto List to allow for sub level hierarchy. All it really needs is an if statement to see if it’s a direct child of the given section or an indirect child (i.e. a page within a sub folder of the given section)

Let me know. Thanks.

Hi Paul,

The current plan is to roll out a basic implementation of the custom Widget Builder in version 3.2. That selector for custom widgets is just a placeholder at the moment. Sorry!

what a teaser! just kidding :wink: Guess I’ll just have to wait.

Having someone else create every section our teachers want is just not doable; it’d be too time consuming.

I have further realized the page auto list is not going to work because as soon as you start adding blog pages or calendar events (which require a new page per event), they all show up in the Page Auto List.

I’m stuck now since we can’t use the Page Auto List, nor the navigation widget (since there’s no way we want our end users to have access to the Navigation screen).

I’m probably going to have to go the route of maybe a Rich Text Widget or something and have to train the users on how to properly use it so that their menu will show properly…

Paul, note that you can filter the auto-list by template, so as long as you use unique templates for these event and blog pages, you can filter them out of the auto-list.

thanks for that tip, it does help with the blog issue at least.