Nav difference on production and staging

We have a nav menu with dropdown menus on hover. It works fine on our production site, but hover isn’t working on our staging site.

I just ran a full publish to staging, thinking it would bring staging up-to-date. Should there be template differences on production and staging? 

Hi Lisa,

Are you using CM1’s staging feature or publishing to a staging server that you built?  CM1’s staging feature was released in 5.1.

Can you also tell me if the navigation items that aren’t working properly on your staging server look as expected in preview mode?  I am wondering if there are certain resources that the navigation relies on that aren’t being copied to the web server (staging). Is your nav using JavaScript or CSS for the dropdown, or both?  I would also take a look at the staged site in an ‘incognito’ window, just to rule out any caching issues.  One last thought: are you using the ‘ignore unmodified assets’ feature? You can verify this setting under your staging server’s publishing configuration.

Let me know what you find!

Thanks,
CW

Hi Chris-

We are using CM1’s staging feature.

The nav items look good in preview. I think it’s using both Javascript and CSS, it’s using the superfish plugin. In the edit screen, the menu dropdowns work with Javascript enabled or disabled.

The staging server is set to publish all assets.

Thanks,
Lisa

ETA: Weird thing I forgot to mention…if I right click on a top level nav item, I can see the submenu. But hover doesn’t work.

Hmm…when you browse to the staging site are there any errors in the console using developer tools?  I would load the page, open developer tools, and then refresh the window.  Try hovering over the menu with the console enabled and let me know if it comes back with anything helpful!

Thanks,
CW

Hi Chris-

I don’t see anything in dev tools. I realized if I click the top level item, I will see the drop down submenu for a second while the page loads. 

Could I have a conflicting script or something that has been published to staging, but not published to production yet? Or would a conflict throw an error in the console?

Hi Lisa,

That makes a lot of sense.  If you open developer tools and refresh the page with the issue, you should see items populate in your ‘Network’ tab.  You can sort by Time to see which items loaded last.  Take a look there and see if there is an item that loads after the necessary scripts/CSS files for your menu.  You can also try (under the Elements tab in the

section of Developer Tools) removing some of suspicious items to see if one of those allows your menu’s functionality to work.  

If any of those suggestions aren’t helpful, we can bring this into our support portal as a ticket.  Let me know what you find.  

Thanks,
CW

Hi Chris-

I ran a full publish on Friday, attempting to add an item to the nav, and the dropdowns still work on production (whew!) So, I don’t think I have anything on templates that was published to staging but hadn’t been published to production yet. 

Can we bring this into the support portal? I have a ticket open about nav not updating, I don’t know if they should be on the same ticket or are different issues.

Thanks Chris!

Hi,

In case anyone else encounters this, the version of Superfish being used in this case was modified to test a particular piece of functionality.  Reverting this back to the version that ships with CM1 solved the issue.

Thanks,
CW