Missing information in Shared Assets

Hello,
I need to update information in several shared assets, but cannot because when I try to access the asset, they appear to be empty of any information. Wherever they are used, they visually show the code contained within the asset, I just cannot access the information in the asset from any page/template location or from the Assets panel.

Information that might be useful, we migrated from Derby to mySQL in March of this year.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Shaun

Can you capture a screenshot of this behavior? I’m having a hard time understanding exactly what you are seeing. 

Enclosed is a link to a screenshot following a shared asset from our Asset directory back to the template on which it is used. Hopefully it illustrates what is going on.

Most of the aesthetics of this widget are handled with css using sprites, but I should still be able to see the links inside the rich-text widget, unless there’s something that I’m missing:

Just curious if this got lost in the shuffle… Could someone give me an update?

Hello Shaun,

Thank you for posting the video! This is very helpful.

In the code you have above, is this from the source of your published page? Does the shared asset content from your video contain everything and including the …

tags?

Can you send some details about how you created the shared asset ‘horizontal-menu-bulldog-club’? For example: did you use the Rich text editor, open the source code window, and paste the " …

"?

Thank you,
Keith

Keith,
I cannot tell you much about the history of this widget, unfortunately. We have a handful of these “horizontal” subnav widgets used all over the site, and none of the ones that I have looked at (except for one html widget) show any content.

Am I going at having to re-create these links in order to be able to edit?

Thanks,
Shaun

Hello Shaun,

Let me investigate this a little more before you do that. Can you tell me what version of CM1 you are using, and what operating system you are running it on?

Keith,
We’re on CM v4.2.4 and we’re on a Linux server.

Linux u16312282 3.0.0-17-server #30~lucid1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 9 15:44:12 UTC 2012 x86\_64 GNU/Linux   
Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS   

Hope this helps.

Great, thank you Shaun.

In general, a better widget to use for this situation would have been an html widget.

But for this issue of being able to edit these existing shared assets, we would like to open a trouble ticket for this issue and work with you there to see if we can resolve this issue. I will be contacting you about how we proceed.

Thank you,
Keith

OK. Thanks.

Could you explain further why this would have been better as an html widget? I’m not sure that I understand why, when this widget contains such simple information, that we should have created an html widget. I’m sure that the original thought behind using the rich-text widget was to use percussion-built links to prevent issues with IA changes.

I personally have my own use issues with using the rich-text widget for anything that needs code edits, but if I know to avoid the use of particular widgets in {X} case for {Y} reason, that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Shaun

Just to follow up; Shaun inherited this widget - it used a Rich Text widget, but there was no actual text used in the widget, just source.

A better way to implement this would be to use an HTML widget. If you want to use the “managed links” feature of Rich Text widgets, this document can help:

http://help.percussion.com/how-to/wri…