Is there a log for a folder/asset/page that was deleted that gives a timestamp and the user?

We have about 40 users that are still somewhat novice at using CM1 and as of lately there have been folders that are missing now and then. The fact we could track what/when/who deleted something would be extremely useful if this is not already implemented somewhere.

I agree with you Scott.  It would be really nice if the system did a “soft” delete and put it in a queue for the admin to look over before it was truly deleted.  That way we could recover the folder/files if it was an accident.

I think it’s a good recommendation but to assist you in the now - here is what I do:

• I place folder permissions on each folder, so it isolates the potential “Who”
  • I never leave anything in the root and I make Asset folders specific to the site content (i.e. /brochures/ - /forms/ - /web-graphics/ - /photos/). Each Asset folder has permissions set.
  • I have a folder /Assets/navigation/[sitename] where I build each sites navigation & sliders, and only I have access.
  • I have a folder called:  /Assets/widgets/[sitename] where I create a folder for the script (my access only) but have a copy of the Rich Text widget - available for them to edit or snap into their page.  
  • I keep an original in the script folder and any HTML widgets I maintain, but they can still snap. This keeps my coding from being deleted.

I keep a listing of persons that have access to each site and those persons also are automatically given permissions to their site assets.  

This way I try to keep a very tight control over who has permissions to what and I keep coding/scripts away from the websites common assets folder.

Here’s a link to it if you’d like to see, since it works well for documentation purposes:   Website Editors & Contributors Listing - xls

The gray are the main sites the blue are sub-sites.

It works for me, and there is no question when a folder went missing, that it had to be one of the assigned Editors or Contributors - vice anyone that has access to the system. 

If they can alert me prior to my running a full publish, then I recommend they recreate the folder, and go to their website and pull back any items they feel was in the folder.  Essentially, they need to recover what was in the folder within the system and put it back.  The system does prompt you “Are you sure”, so clicking continue and going forward with the delete, could have been preventable.

Hello All,

I am moving this post to our Ideas section. There is no log or audit trail at this time, and others have asked for more reporting.

Thank you all for your tips and feedback!

Keith 

Keith, this will be very helpful

The tool would not be used to point a finger, except in the case someone is trying to pin the blame either on the software or on the admins(us). Because we publish to another server that is load balanced we can always just grab the files from that server and reenter them into CM1. But like today, someone wanted an edit to a page and emailed a person they knew could do the edit. That person in turn emailed us when they could not find the pages in CM1.
As to who deleted it, we are unsure. It could have been someone on my own team that did not admit it, the first person wanting the change or the person that could not find it in CM1 and then decided to email us or someone else entirely.
This feature would basically tell us who did the damage so that we could restrict them further if they continue the behavior.
Obviously Aaron’s suggestion of only allowing admins or at least a admin check feature would be great, but I’d settle for a log at the moment.

Our site structure has to allow for multiple people to have access to multiple directories. So someone from HR would have access to the same directory as someone in traffic because they both have pages at a root level.
We wanted to keep the structure as close to what they knew before when we implemented CM1. Mind you I inherited the site structure. I think whoever originally created/administered it no longer works here even.
If we only had 2 or 3 users per folder it would be easier to track down with your suggestions.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

I agree it is not about pointing a finger, but instead giving admin insight to someone that might need a bit more one on one training, and also something to train others on regarding methods of recovery.

These things are never done on purpose, and when someone comes to me and indicates they accidentally did this, I do let them know I also have done this, and here is how I fixed it. I do offer to upload the files once they provide them to me and assist them with clicking through to ensure they found them all.

Also, lock them out of places they do not need to be, just in case.

Keith,

Is this idea still on the table?

We recently had someone move an entire folder from one directory to another and while it only took a minute to find and put back where it was supposed to be, we still have no idea who is doing it. Luckily it was only moved as it was a pretty important folder.

Any update on this? I do know that once it’s deleted, it should be “hidden” from users and Admins should view the deleted files/folders.

That’s what programmers do: CRUD (Create Read Update and Delete) or READ (Read Edit Add and Delete)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Create,_read,_update_and_delete

Scott, I am going to check with my team on this!

Thanks,
Courtney

I’d like to see this also, due to users accidently deleting either a file or a web page.  It generally does not come down to the “who” - since they are the only person in the website, however currently the only recommendation I can give is that they go to the live site and copy what they deleted and place it back into the system in the same location.

If they are lucky before auto-full publish every morning that replace everything.