Import a site as pages into an existing site?

Is it possible import an external site as pages or subdomain into a CM1 site using LiveFirst or another method? 

Hi Michael,

It’s not possible to import an external site into CM1 as a subdomain if you wish for the subdomain to have its own URL.  The reason is because assets and web_resources are referenced relative to the root of the site on CM1’s web pages.  You would need to add a second site in CM1 and run a live first from that second site.

You can import pages from an external site, though, by navigating to the Design menu and double clicking your site.  From here, you can click ‘add template’ from the ‘Actions’ sub menu.  If you choose to create a template from a URL, this will allow you to add a new template and page with properties from the page you are importing.  I’m not sure if this would be exactly what you are looking for, though.

Let me know if you have more questions and if you have a specific use case you’re looking at.

Regards,
CW

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I’m responding four months later.

Essentially, what I’m hoping to do is add a standalone page to our existing site, created externally. It’s an html page and all of the related assets for a 360-degree panorama. The page is nothing more than the viewer. The folders, assets and folder structure are all created, I’m just wondering if there’s a way to move it into Percussion so that it can live on our site.

Thanks again,

Mike

Here’s a link to the page, which is on another site for review.
http://www.solidstatecreative.com/garrison/garrisonhill360.html

Hi Michael,

Can you import the file into the CMS as a file asset? Let me know if this works.

Regards,
CW

Thanks, Chris. Not quite sure what you mean. Are you talking about importing the html file? I have the main html file, which includes the relative links to a folder and subfolder with the assets for js, xml, images, etc. Perhaps I’m looking at creating a theme to make this work?

Hi Michael,

You could update the paths in the HTML file you have currently before uploading to the CMS. From here, you could add it to the /Assets directory by clicking the new asset button on the top right of the UI.

This would be a quick way to point the file to the new images directories, etc. that you have in CM1. You would select ‘file’ asset type when uploading the html file. From here, you could update any navigation, etc. to point directly to the new file asset.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Regards,
CW

Thanks, Chris. I figured on changing the paths in the html file, but I guess I’m just wondering about all of the other assets. Would this mean recreating the same folder structure in the CMS and uploading each individual asset? There are a lot. Maybe we can chat by phone or web for just a few minutes at some point?

Mike

Hi Michael,

What I recommend is using the bulk upload tool on the Dashboard. You could create the same directory structure for the assets and use the bulk upload tool to upload the source files to the corresponding folders in CM1.

Let me know if you’d like to continue tracking this through a support ticket and we can schedule a call.

Regards,
CW

Thanks, Chris. All seems to work fine using this method, at least while previewing. I assume a full publish is required for all of these assets to propagate to the live site, despite approving them during the bulk upload process.

Mike